In response to the destruction from Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irma, OSHA posted a reminder on Twitter this morning to avoid downed power lines. There’s a high chance that they’re live, and you could be injured or killed if you come into contact with one. Here are a few additional tips on downed power line safety:
- Don’t touch a downed line, either with your body or with an object.
- Don’t drive over a downed line.
- Don’t touch an object that’s in contact with a downed line.
- Call 911 to report a fallen power line.
- If your car accidentally comes into contact with a downed line, stay inside the car and call 911 on your mobile phone.
During storms, or any time there are high winds, power lines are susceptible to being knocked down by tree branches or other objects. If you have to be out and about in a storm, always be aware of your surroundings, and avoid potentially dangerous situations.