OSHA’s annual National Safety Stand-Down to prevent falls in construction is scheduled for May 8-12, and it’s not too early to start planning. The stand-down is a weeklong outreach event that encourages employers and workers to pause during the work day to talk about fall hazards and prevention.
Fall prevention is a big emphasis for OSHA because falls are the leading cause of death in the construction industry. 37% of fatalities industry-wide are due to falls.
OSHA offers lots of great resources for employers to take advantage of:
- Posters: English (PDF). Also available en Español (PDF)
- Fall Prevention Training Guide: A Lesson Plan for Employers (PDF) (EPUB | MOBI). Also available en Español (PDF) (EPUB | MOBI).
- Fall Protection in Construction (PDF). OSHA Publication 3146, (2015).
- Protecting Roofing Workers (PDF). OSHA Publication 3755, (2015).
- Fall Prevention/Protection. OSHA Publications. Contains fall prevention materials in English and Spanish.
A full list of resources for the stand-down can be found here.
photo credit: Western Area Power